Re: Proselytizing UPS

From: Bob Carragher (bob_at_fla.fujitsu.com)
Date: Fri Mar 17 2000 - 23:11:58 GMT

russ_at_amc.com (Russell Browne) writes:

> Bob Carragher wrote:
>
> > By the way, Ian Edward's suggestion of using Purify is
> > practically useful, but it doesn't help with proseletizing
> > UPS. ...
>
> To investigate infinite recursion, set a breakpoint in the offending
> function and edit to look like
>
>      static int i=0; if (i++ > 1000) #stop;
>
> The should break the process well into the offending call, even if
> there are a few valid calls first, but well before the stack overflows.
>
> Ask your gdb fans how to do that!
>
> I think how well it handles infinite recursion is a rather
> minor point in choosing a debugger.  Some ups features that
> I find far superior to other debuggers I have tried:
>
>   [Many good features deleted.]

The debugger that my friend uses is a Sun product which
"integrates" xemacs and xdbx with lots of extras so that
you get a "source-based" debugger environment similar to
what is available on PCs.  In particular, you can make
changes in the code in the original source file and then
click "run" and it will compile and link and run the
executable under the debugger, maintaining the previous
session's breakpoints.

Quite frankly, I prefer the UPS approach.  Sure, you have
to close the UPS session, recompile/link, then restart
the debugger.  But you've also saved so much state information,
plus whatever breakpoints you want, that you get the same
result.  Also, if typing "make" doesn't give you the
executable that you're looking for, then you're probably
stuck with the Sun version.

Ah well, he can be less productive if he wants.  B-)

				Bob